Do you want to read our entire newspaper online for an affordable price? Then you will love our e-Edition! Click Here to Subscribe to our e-Edition Today!

Firemen called to Hoven elevator on Christmas Eve

Share

Gettysburg Volunteer Firefighters were called to Hoven around 7:40 p.m. on Christmas Eve to provide mutual aid for a fire reported at the grain elevator.
An alarm at the Hoven Equity Exchange that is set to notify the Hoven fire department showed the temperature was getting too hot in the leg boot, or pit. The pit was on fire when the Hoven firemen arrived, but it was extinguished by the time the crew from Gettysburg arrived.
Potter County Sheriff Curt Hamburger said that the cause of the fire was not certain, but it was speculated that it may have started from grain that got hot or a bad bearing. “The fire started in the morning and the Hoven Fire Department thought they had it out,”  said Sheriff Hamburger, but it started again that evening. He added that the Gettysburg fire fighters turned around shortly after they arrived, and the fire was out by around 9 p.m. There was some damage to the elevator leg and conveyor belt inside the building. He added that the red light on top of the building made it appear that there was more fire on top, but it was only smoke and steam.
According to Bob Rausch, manager of the elevator, there was no grain lost in the fire, but they will have to replace the grain belt and cups that had burned, and some cleanup was needed.
Sheriff Hamburger said that the fire did not cause any major damage and was not as serious as it could have been.
–Molly McRoberts with reports
from Hoven Review

Be the first to like.

Poll

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Ads