Lightning strikes Smith home west of Gettysburg
Gettysburg’s emergency crews were called to a fire at the home of Frank and Jean Smith on Sunday afternoon.
A lightning strike was blamed for the damage to the house, located west of town near Bob’s Resort at the river.
According to Potter County Sheriff Curt Hamburger, the fire was reported about 5:30 p.m. June 1 when a storm moved through the western part of the county. Hamburger said one of the strikes hit the chimney which is attached to a propane fireplace. The strike caused flames to ignite in the portion of the home between the basement and first floor. The house sustained water and sheetrock damage and no one was injured. Firefighters were at the scene for about an hour and a half and the State Fire Marshal was contacted.
Hamburger said that residents of nearby buildings reported lightning strikes that created electrical issues. Local electrician Mark Schatz was able to turn on most of the electricity in the house.
In addition to the Gettysburg Fire Department, the Gettysburg ambulance also responded to the site of the fire call Sunday.